instructions and Tips
Before you begin, you'll need to pick the best box for the items you'll be packing. The following guide will help you pick the right box.
- BOOK BOXES can be used for books (surprisingly), CDs, DVDs, records and heavy non-fragile items. Size: 17" x 12.5" x 13".
- WINE/RECORD BOXES are best for small fragile items, records and wine or liquor bottles. Size: 18" x 14" x 14"
- LINEN BOXES can be used for clothing, bedding, lampshades, toys and other lightweight items. Size: 18" x 18" x 24"
- LARGE DISHPACK BOXES can be used for dishes, glassware, lamps, any fragile items, pots and pans. Size: 18" x 18" x 28"
- SMALL DISHPACK BOXES can be used for speakers, small electronic items, and fragile or heavy items. Size: 24" x 18" x 16"
- WARDROBE BOXES can be used for hanging clothes. Size: 22" x 24" x 47"
Once you've selected the right box, you will need to tape the bottom of the box. Please see the below instructions.
The Professional Way to Tape a Box
Once you've taped the bottom of your box, pack heaviest items first. Then you can put less heavy items in the next layer, and the lightest items on top. As you pack, keep the following things in mind:
- If you're packing breakables, put a two-to-four inch layer of unprinted crumpled newspapers on the bottom of the carton will act as a protective cushion. Or you may roll 2 or 3 sheets of unprinted paper into "logs".
- DO NOT OVERPACK LARGE BOXES; movers will just have to re-pack them the day-of. ONLY PACK ABOUT 25 PLATES/BREAKABLE ITEMS PER DISH PACK.
- Pack as little food as possible; if you are going to pack food, use several book boxes, as opposed to one larger dishpack box.
- Do not pack wardrobe boxes without wardrobe bars; for instructions on how to properly pack a wardrobe box, you can watch this quick video: How to Pack Wardrobe Boxes. DO NOT OVERPACK WARDROBE BOXES.